Tuesday, September 15, 2015

A New Kind of Boogie Monster

I wrote my essay on Bughuul, also known as Mr. Boogie, from the "Sinister" movies. Looking at the 7 theses from Cohen's "Monster Culture (Seven Theses)", the first thought that comes to my mind is just choose to write about his thesis that states "The monster always escapes". Then I think to myself "Naaaaa", that might just be too easy and wouldn't really give me much to write about. The thesis is pretty self explanatory and I feel I don't need to go into detail about Bughuul and how he always escapes, because I mean he is a monster that escapes at the end of each movie.

Cohen's fifth thesis seemed a little more interesting to write about. It states that, "The Monster Polices the Borders of the Possible". This thesis is saying that monsters stand at a boundary basically as a warning sign of what is beyond them. It's like monsters have their own world or dimension that they are permitting mobility of others from going to and if they do somehow get to that world or dimension then they may be attacked by a monster or they may too become a monstrous. I feel this thesis fits well with Bughuul because he lives in another dimension as he is some sort of demon and only appears from screens, or drawings of himself. He is a warning sign and acts as a border patrol between our world and his. What makes him monstrous is how he usually isn't trying to stop people from getting to his dimension, but rather taking people with him to his dimension. He gets children to follow the children he already has and him to his dimension and then he consumes that child's soul. Just like Cohen says about if someone gets too close to another dimension then they may become monstrous themselves or die; Bughuul kills people that get too close to figuring out what he is and also the children that come into his dimension with him end up killing their own families, hence becoming monstrous.

No comments:

Post a Comment